Automobile accidents affect countless lives each and every day in Southern California, and the majority of these accidents are preventable.
According to national statistics, approximately seven million people are seriously injured or killed in auto accidents every year. Unfortunately, very few people walk away from auto accidents unharmed. They can suffer anywhere from sprained muscles to neck injuries to broken bones or fractures to brain or head trauma, spinal cord injuries or loss of limbs.
There are many ways to avoid a car accident, but once one happens, it is important that the right steps are taken. Because it’s not easy to think clearly after an accident, you should know what to do before one happens.
Here’s a checklist:
- Stay calm. Determine the extent of damage and injuries, if any – does anyone need immediate medical attention?
- Contact the police even if the accident was minor. Make sure a legal accident report is made. Don’t leave the scene until it’s complete.
- Exchange insurance and personal information with the other driver or drivers.
- Take photographs of your injuries and any passengers you may have.
- Take photographs of the damage to all vehicles and of the scene of the accident.
- Get name, phone number of any witnesses.
- Limit your discussions of the accident to the police, insurance agent and personal injury attorney.
If you have suffered catastrophic or any type of injuries due to the negligent and reckless actions of another person, contact the San Bernardino personal injury law offices of Welebir | Tierney because as a victim of an auto accident, you deserve to receive monetary compensation for your losses, which include, but are not limited to, medical expenses, property damage, loss of wages, and pain and suffering.