Today, more people are turning to walking as their primary mode of transportation.
Unfortunately, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 5,000 pedestrians die every year after being hit by a motor vehicle and almost 80,000 more suffer injury due to accidents with a car, truck or motorcycle.
Many of these accidents are avoidable and caused by driver negligence.
The law says a driver cannot enter a crosswalk until a pedestrian is completely clear of the crossing. However, officers will generally only cite drivers who are entering a crosswalk at an unsafe distance from a pedestrian.
Although drivers are expected to yield to pedestrians, crosswalk or not, those crossing the street have a responsibility to cross legally and safely. Pedestrians darting in front of vehicles and giving the driver little time to react could be found at fault if an accident occurs.
The following are safety tips for both pedestrians as well as drivers:
- Always cross at marked crosswalks
- Obey pedestrian signals and look left-right-left to make sure the road is clear in both directions before crossing
- If a vehicle approaches, make eye contact with the driver to be sure he or she sees you
- Look before walking past stopped vehicles. Be sure all lanes are clear
- Bicyclists are not considered pedestrians unless they are walking their bikes
- Yield to pedestrians
- Be prepared to stop at all crosswalks
- Stay alert and reduce speed in areas with crosswalks
- Be alert for bicyclists and skateboarders
- Come to a complete stop if pedestrians are crossing or preparing to cross
- Wait until they have crossed at least one lane past the lane you are in before resuming travel
- Never pass another vehicle that has stopped or is slowing at a crosswalk
- Pedestrians and bicyclists may be going to school as early as 6:30 a.m. Be sure to have your headlights on
If you or a loved one is the victim of a pedestrian accident caused by another party, you deserve compensation. Contact the San Bernardino personal injury law offices of Welebir | Tierney.
We realize that pedestrian accidents can cause serious injuries that can affect every aspect of your life. If you are the victim of an accident, we want to help you.