The effects of an accident caused by a drunk or impaired driver can be devastating and can last a lifetime.
Victims and survivors are forced to struggle with the physical and emotional trauma that follows, along with the associated medical and legal issues as well.
According to California Vehicle Code Section 23152 Sections (a) and (b), “It is a misdemeanor to drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and it is a misdemeanor to drive with .08% or more of alcohol in your blood.”
Several years ago, in response to more than 13,000 people who were killed every year in drunk driving accidents, M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) launched the Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving.
The campaign focuses on saving lives through:
- Support for high-visibility law enforcement activities
- Legislation requiring ignition interlocks for all convicted drunk drivers
- Development of automotive technologies for passive alcohol detection
In a recently released report, the campaign provides an overview of legislative accomplishments, state-by-state highlights of drunk driving reform and a glimpse of what is yet to come. States receive a star to indicate the adoption of one of give proven DUI countermeasures:
1. Requiring ignition interlocks for all convicted drunk drivers
2. Conducting sobriety checkpoints
3. Creating enhanced penalties for those who drive drunk with children in the vehicle
4. Participating in ‘no-refusal’ activities for those suspected of driving drunk
5. Utilizing Administrative License Revocation for drunk driving offenders
Because of this campaign, tremendous progress has been made in the fight against drunk driving. Let’s all do our parts in order to prevent these 100% preventable deaths and put a stop to drunk driving and underage drinking.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in an accident caused by an intoxicated driver, the law is on your side. The driver faces not only stiff penalties, but also substantial civil liabilities.
The San Bernardino personal injury attorneys at the law offices of Welebir Tierney & Weck can help you hold the responsible driver accountable. Call us today to determine if you are entitled to compensationfor your injuries, medical expenses and pain and suffering.