There are many ways to avoid a motor vehicle accident, but once one happens and emotions are running high, it is important that the right steps are taken.
Motor vehicle accidents can include automobiles, trucks, motorcycles and pedestrians. No matter what type of accident caused your pain and suffering, you could be eligible for financial compensation if another driver caused it.
Accidents can happen for many reasons, but some of the leading causes include negligence and dangerous driving from other motorists. Drunk driving, texting while behind the wheel and other forms of reckless driving can cause serious accidents.
Very important – try to stay calm. Panic can make others panic and the situation worse.
After making sure all involved are okay, calling the police and calling for emergency medical attention, if necessary, take the following steps:
- Exchange information with other drivers, including names, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information
- Get a copy of police report, plus officer’s name and badge number
- Contact your insurance company – tell them about accident and the extent of your injuries, if any
- Make note of any medical treatment you receive
- Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle as soon as possible
- Use caution when discussing the accident – never admit to blame
- Be wary of early settlement offers from your insurance company
- Speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible
It is common for motor vehicle accident victims to suffer from physical injuries and emotional distress. The most common types of injuries include, head, neck and brain injuries. In addition, victims can suffer from emotional pain and trauma.
It’s normal to have many questions and concerns after a motor vehicle accident. When circumstances beyond your control cause your accident, do not suffer the consequences alone. A personal injury lawyer can help you during this difficult time.
At the San Bernardino personal injury law offices of Welebir Tierney & Weck, it’s our goal to get you every dollar you truly deserve.